As I’m creating new ships and scenarios on the fly, they need to be tested. Nathan and I test them of course, but I need more robust testing – so as I’m making the game, I’m periodically sending everything we’ve got out to a select group of playtesters, the publisher and our patreon supporter for feedback.
The first of those went out today, and what’s in it is a reflection of where we stand. Here’s the contents compared to our final goals:
Rulebook: Main rules complete, needs diagrams, examples, and design notes.
Faction Entries (Each faction gets their own page in the ship book): 1 / 5
Ships Written (The ships have their ‘class history’ written in the ship book): 4 / 50
Ships Designed (The ship has a complete ‘design row’ in our ship design spreadsheet): 15 / 50
Ships Built (Nathan has converted the design into a printable sheet): 6/50.
Scenario Fiction (The storyline has been written for a scenario and prologue / epilogue): 4/12
Scenarios (The scenario rules exist and all ships are built for that scenario): 2/10
I’m finding that everything sort of happens together – now that I’ve done a bit of everything I find myself wanting to write the ship’s class history / description before I design the ship, but that’s also not always going to happen because it takes a good deal longer to write than it does to design a ship, and I continue to make playtesting a priority which means I need to design three more ships by tonight and write up a scenario so we can playtest it Wednesday evening. Our publisher suggested one last rules addition – bulkheads – and while I like them they need playtesting ASAP to make sure they should be included.